Thursday, May 3, 2012

Internet Dependency- The student's drug of choice

Today, I ran home in between classes, with JUST enough time to work on my blog and do some homework. I was excited to be caught up with everything and not be rushing to finish at the last second. I was online for about two minutes, when all of the sudden- the internet crashes. Frantically, I try to unplug the router and restart my computer and helplessly cross my fingers and pray that it comes back from the dark side where the internet sometimes likes to reside. No such luck. Now, with not enough time to try and go to the library I am forced to put off everything that I need an internet connection to do. Which, is basically everything. Being without internet forced me to think about just how dependent students are on the internet. Not only do we use it as a form of communication, and as a way to submit projects and homework, but we really don't know how to do research without it. The internet and online media is great, when it actually works. But so often, I find that I am getting frustrated over being unable to do things because of technological errors. It is amazing that we can rely on our computers so much for everyday tasks. Even now, with my patchy internet signal, stolen from my neighbor's router, I am praying that I can finish my thoughts before the internet cuts out again. While the internet is full of wonderful new things to discover, it often reminds me of a very twisted love-hate relationship. While things are going in your favor, you love the internet, but all too often we get let down our guard and the second we do- we find ourselves cursing how attached we have become to something so fickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment